July 20, 2010

Serge Lutens Rose de Nuit

I was especially excited to sample this one as the consensus seems to be that it's a dirty little rose.

I had a long day yesterday and it was after nine by the time I'd run my after-work errands and taken a bath. I cautiously painted a thin layer of Rose de Nuit onto the inside of my elbow. It went on absolutely amazing, not a dirty rose so much as a synthetic one, maybe the year 2182's interpretation of the long-extinct English rose? Anyway, I loved it.

As the scent dried down it started to smell familiar to me. What was that smell? It was dry, and it reminded me of something I knew I'd smelled pretty often. And then it hit me: it smelled almost exactly like my ex-husband's aftershave. I don't know if it was the amber or the leather note I was reacting to - I can't even remember what brand of aftershave he used - but once I made the connection my stomach dropped.

This one wasn't a scrubber, it was a drinker. I got out the Jack Daniel's and diet ginger ale and settled into a "Mad Men" episode on DVD. I didn't wash the perfume off. Who says we shouldn't celebrate melancholy?

No comments:

Post a Comment